Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Three Good Things (and a ticking time bomb)

Not long ago I was asked by a county employee (who shall remain anonymous) to try to say something “good” about the county commissioners. I thought a moment and replied, “Why don’t you come up with three good things to say about the commissioners and I’ll be happy to comment on them at the next commissioners meeting.” That county employee hasn’t gotten back to me yet but that’s all right. I think that I can come up with three “good things” to say about you anyway.

Let’s see, all of you commissioners appear (the last time I saw you) to have good hygiene. I’m sure that all of you have good manners. And finally, I’d be willing to bet that all of you do sincerely care about your families.

It may be a failing of mine but deep down I also believe that all of you are good, honest, honorable men. Unfortunately my belief in and of itself about those things is not enough for the citizens of Jackson County. They’re angry and not easily persuaded. It is important to back up that belief with observable, measurable, public evidence. Otherwise my belief is meaningless and the patriotic citizens of Jackson County could overact—which I for one don’t want to see happen.

Quite a few citizens have called me and urged me to not let up on you commissioners. They reminded me that despite you having done some good things in your tenure, your alleged misbehaviors have far, far out weighed those good things. I don’t need to make a list. You know what I’m talking about.

But isn’t it better to have the politician that we know staying in office rather than some unknown individual who might destroy all the good that has been done? Maybe, maybe not.

None of us is perfect. Last that I checked I surely wasn’t. But because of that imperfection, and a forgiving, benevolent Creator, redemption is offered to us. We can make amends to those that we have harmed.

Gentlemen, this situation with the “fatcat” pay raises, despite what was claimed by two individuals (which I don’t believe for a moment) in last week’s Sylva Herald, has become utterly outrageous. It is time to act to rectify this harm to the citizens of Jackson County.

How can a county employee just give themselves twenty years of seniority in the county system? How can they do this especially when you have taken away everything—the colas and the step increases, along with the ever present threat that if county employees speak out about these abuses and others they will be summarily dismissed? What seeming legal chicanery allows this?

There is redemption though commissioners. Right these wrongs now and I’m sure that many citizens will forgive you. Otherwise November 2, with all its socio-political ramification looms before us, a ticking time bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment